Max Gaming is running a kickstarter campaign to fund the port of the Torque2D MIT game engine to Android. Multi-platform support is more and more a requirement these days, especially for a 2D engine geared at developing casual indie games.
Max Gaming pledged also that they will work on the Linux version of this engine. That isn’t such a bad idea, as Android is in its core Linux-based, so both systems should be similar in their core.
Have a look at the Kickstarter campaign, pledge generously and get your friends to do as well! There is still a long way to go.
When you install Skype on a 64-bit OpenSuSE 11.2 system using the installation package on the Skype Linux page, Skype refuses to start after install. When looking at the command line,you get the following error message:
That seems to be an issue with a bad installation package from Skype.
The current issue of Linux magazine (#111) has an article about how researchers are using Blender 3D to calculate and simulate the volume of sand displaced when walking on a beach. This demonstrates the extreme flexibility of Blender, and also shows that that flexibility is more and more appreciated by the academic community.
This academic use is also becoming more and more apparent in the different Blender conference schedules, as each year there are very innovative ideas presented there.
A few days ago, there was a newly released version of the OpenSuSE kernel available in my update list. After download and installation, my bcm4306 wifi adapter was finding multiple broadcasted signals with associated networks. Sadly, it seems that encryption support isn’t yet working in this configuration, as I can’t seem to connect with my secured network at home.
The first episode of Penny Arcade passed my attention without being noticed, which is a shame. I guess I had a period of less exposure to internet, and was preoccupied with work-related stuff. This time however, I noticed the availability of a Linux version for the second episode of Penny Arcade : the Rain-slick precipise of Darkness, and decided to check it out.
I’ve been trying for several days on and off now, to get the previously working Wifi under OpenSuSE to work, now that I installed the new-and-shiny 11.0. I’ve had some success in the past days, but none of those efforts were reproducable i.e. I couldn’t repeat the actions it seems were needed to get a connection.
On the OpenSuSE forums, it seems there is a bug in the firmware of the Broadcom Wifi Chipset 4306, which fortunately can be fixed. I’ll keep you updated on that. If this should work, that means one of the most difficult things remaining during an installation of a new linux finally will be fixed with native software (bc43 driver instead of a hand-configured ndiswrapper). I’m looking forward to the next installation 🙂